StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GeoGuessr

GeoGuessr

So, a friend showed me this site in school a while ago, and I've decided to check it out and was instantly hooked.

For those who don't know, GeoGuessr is a discovery game in which you are placed in a random area around the world in Google Street View, and you're supposed to find out where you are in the world by searching the land near your location and using your general surroundings and possible context clues given around that location, like road signs and billboards.

You then make a guess about where you are in the world on in Google Maps, and then you earn points depending on how close you are to the actual location. Your goal is to get as close as you can to the actual location.

You can also choose from maps that focus on specific countries, and cities of the world, like the London and Japan maps. It's lots of fun.

You can play the game here!

deviantart
    ~ facebook ~ soundcloud
    #gavx or something

For the first 3 rounds I was dropped into the middle of a barren road. No roadsigns, just trees and hills for miles and miles.

Then on the 4th round I was dropped in front of a hotel that looked like a huge pink palace with a sign that said "Motel Toxa" and other signs hinted at spanish too, googled the hotel name, found where it is, 4989 points, haha. Pretty cool.

I had a tonne of fun with this game. Firs time round I didn't do so well, but the second time I played I go over 3500 every round, resulting in an overall score of 22672. The last round I was off by 164 meters, and got 4999 points.
    Spoiler for Final thing:

Overall I loved it and had lots of fun.

Don't know how you love it or have fun with it. For me, this game is ridiculous. My shitty mouse and internet is part of the reason. Also, most of the time you'l end up being in the remote area/desert/open field, etc with absolutely no clue whatsoever. Random guessing at its finest.
    Yo yo yo, wassup, my name is R-Dizzle-Fo-Shizzle-My-Nizzle-Off-Da-Hizzle...Drizzle and check out my "Off Da Hizzle" Youtube Channel.
    Spoiler for SE stuff:

i played this like last year before and i sucked terribly. i didnt know you could zoom in on the map because i was dumb.
    yeah ive never seen this in a long time. its pretty fun. thanks for reminding me of this game tsang!

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
    Don't know how you love it or have fun with it. For me, this game is ridiculous. My shitty mouse and internet is part of the reason. Also, most of the time you'l end up being in the remote area/desert/open field, etc with absolutely no clue whatsoever. Random guessing at its finest.
    Nah man, you need to look around. You can go further and look for signs and stuff. Personally I searched them up on google, it was an awesome way to test your skills.

what a fun game haha i never ever realised this is what some places like norway would look like. got 4441 haha

The Extra-Extraordinary Mustika's Avatar
    A fun way to see other country's landscapes and street photos by using our Googling skill? Neat!
    Got myself a perfect 5K from an intersection around Ráckeve, Hungary:
    Spoiler for On Round 3:

While my final score for my first try was around 19K. So much fun indeed~
    Spoiler for 19,558:

The last round ended me up on a road surrounded with hills and farms, while the nearest clue I got was a Portuguese sign that doesn't really help. Thus, I had to follow through the road until I found a big sign with "Hotel Girassol da Serra, Santa Maria Madalena" on it XD I clicked around and got myself only 7.9 km away from the real target. Still around 4.9K points thankfully.

I thank you so much for sharing, Tsang <3 Might stick around with this game during the new year holiday.
    Last edited by Mustika; 12-28-2014 at 02:55 AM.

DeviantART |RHG - Battle #1 done | osu!
    Spoiler for I got stamped as SP's Official Counter. Yay?:

Yeah, I spent another good hour and a half playing it again, and I got quite a nice score, no 5,000's though.
    Spoiler for New highscore:

(Please tell me if you want me to stop posting on this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Mustika View Post
    A fun way to see other country's landscapes and street photos by using our Googling skill? Neat!
    Got myself a perfect 5K from an intersection around Ráckeve, Hungary:
    Spoiler for On Round 3:

While my final score for my first try was around 19K. So much fun indeed~
    Spoiler for 19,558:

The last round ended me up on a road surrounded with hills and farms, while the nearest clue I got was a Portuguese sign that doesn't really help. Thus, I had to follow through the road until I found a big sign with "Hotel Girassol da Serra, Santa Maria Madalena" on it XD I clicked around and got myself only 7.9 km away from the real target. Still around 4.9K points thankfully.

I thank you so much for sharing, Tsang <3 Might stick around with this game during the new year holiday.
    Wowww... Chu so close to perfect spot. Wondering if anyone got that...
    Yo yo yo, wassup, my name is R-Dizzle-Fo-Shizzle-My-Nizzle-Off-Da-Hizzle...Drizzle and check out my "Off Da Hizzle" Youtube Channel.
    Spoiler for SE stuff:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information