StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

Thread: Blueleaf34's animation thread

Blueleaf34's animation thread

Hello everybody, this app called Stick Nodes is what I used for this animation.
    Spoiler for Termina Part:
    Last edited by Blueleaf34; 08-30-2015 at 05:14 PM.

nice!

The first thing I'm seeing is issues with wobbliness; particularly in the foot placement. If you watch the black stick on the far right in the first few frames you'll see his feet sliding back and forth while they're on the ground. It's something which stands out when you're off by even a pixel or two so it's something you need to get into the habit of pinning down. If you were using pivot you could create a stk with one joint and 0 thickness which would act as a marker and make sure you kept your place each frame. I have no idea if there's anything similar you can do in Stick Nodes. You might have to get creative. If there's no other choice, flick back and forth between frames every time you make a new one and focus on the feet, making sure they're not sliding around at all. This is such an important and difficult part of animation that apparently professional animators will do their best to make sure you can't see their characters' feet. So that's another thing you can do - zoom out a bit so that there's nothing obviously touching the floor.

The other main point that comes up for you is easing. Make sure that every movement starts off slowly before accelerating up to speed. The first frame of any movement should be moving by just one pixel, or maybe two if it's a really fast movement. It helps the viewer's eye keep track of where everything is going.

Aside from that it's looking really good. Your scenes seem natural and you have a really good overall image of what you want the animation to look like. Some animations you see and think "this guy has a long way to go before he's anywhere near what he's aiming for", but this is a good animation which just needs a little tuning up. A couple of movements might not work any more once you're easing them, but it's better to sacrifice stuff like that because it could never have looked right.
    artwork by Mantha, 'cos she's the bestest

You will kneel before me and you will confess that I am God.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    The first thing I'm seeing is issues with wobbliness; particularly in the foot placement. If you watch the black stick on the far right in the first few frames you'll see his feet sliding back and forth while they're on the ground. It's something which stands out when you're off by even a pixel or two so it's something you need to get into the habit of pinning down. If you were using pivot you could create a stk with one joint and 0 thickness which would act as a marker and make sure you kept your place each frame. I have no idea if there's anything similar you can do in Stick Nodes. You might have to get creative. If there's no other choice, flick back and forth between frames every time you make a new one and focus on the feet, making sure they're not sliding around at all. This is such an important and difficult part of animation that apparently professional animators will do their best to make sure you can't see their characters' feet. So that's another thing you can do - zoom out a bit so that there's nothing obviously touching the floor.

The other main point that comes up for you is easing. Make sure that every movement starts off slowly before accelerating up to speed. The first frame of any movement should be moving by just one pixel, or maybe two if it's a really fast movement. It helps the viewer's eye keep track of where everything is going.

Aside from that it's looking really good. Your scenes seem natural and you have a really good overall image of what you want the animation to look like. Some animations you see and think "this guy has a long way to go before he's anywhere near what he's aiming for", but this is a good animation which just needs a little tuning up. A couple of movements might not work any more once you're easing them, but it's better to sacrifice stuff like that because it could never have looked right.

Damn... I never got Criticized this big.

I didn't hit the word limit for one post. You got off light
    artwork by Mantha, 'cos she's the bestest

You will kneel before me and you will confess that I am God.

https://youtu.be/ws0zNUBfag4

My newest 44 second long animation. CC is what I need. (since this was an upload 4 months ago) I'm creating a new project which will be a very very lengthy animation which I hope I can complete within a few months. I'll be back once again in the future with even more animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueleaf34 View Post

My newest 44 second long animation. CC is what I need. (since this was an upload 4 months ago) I'm creating a new project which will be a very very lengthy animation which I hope I can complete within a few months. I'll be back once again in the future with even more animations.
    that is indeed very good. I can't even make scenes in different angles myself. You're getting pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueleaf34 View Post

Richard(Mgee) gave me this piece of advice that I think would be very applicable here.
    Don't cover up bad movements, stiffness, etc. flaws with flashy effects and angles.
    Yes, I was impressed with all the flash, but when you look past that, it isn't great.
    Keep going!

Spoiler for WHO I SUPP:

I will remember you, Iwata...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    ...but you just dealt me a crisp one right there.

Thread Information