StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of Genre :: Round 1 | SCIENCE FICTION |

Battle of Genre :: Round 1 | SCIENCE FICTION |

Battle of Genre

Round One - Science Fiction

Round Up!

Welcome to Round One of the Battle of Genres and here we come to the first in line of our list: Science Fiction. Sci-Fi, as its usually shortened, can bring us into the future, to times that could be and technologies that would be. Glimpses into utopian or dystopian futures, sleek white machines or massive automatons built on exposed wire and cogs. Some of the best Sci-fi hang on to actual proven facts, expanded on theoretical ideas made by authors.

Research has always been a key to writing the best stories, this may be one of those times best suited.

Science Fiction is one of the broadest genres in literature, opening lots of doors and windows. Be sure to take the right one.

Tournament Mechanics
    As to remind you guys of the rules:

Rounds last for at least 3 weeks. 2 weeks for the actual writing process and then a week for the polls.

Votals
    Very simple. After the end of each round, I will tally the number of votes for each participant. Each vote is 5 points.

The Challenges
    Each round, a player may challenge himself by posting on the Round's thread [It will be linked here if you happen to get lost]. Once issued, I will PM the challenge to the participant and will remain hidden the entire round. Only myself and the participant will know of it. This is to prevent CnCs that revolve on: "You didn't do the challenge, etc." or votes that do the same.

Challenges are worth 10 points. If you happen to fail, you lose the same amount.

Comment and Critique
    We are here not only for friendly competition but for the learning experience. Who better to help than our fellow writers? As opposed to Hewitt's version I will separate its scores. For each CnC and for a maximum of 3, I will award 1 point to that participant. Saying its good in this part, or you liked that but disliked this is Comment on its own and awardable but those with substance, those that deliver points that that writer can reflect on will be awarded an additional point for that CnC. At the end of the tournament, I will tally everyone's CnC Score and the participant with the highest score will claim an additional Steam Key courtesy of Xate and Hewitt.

The Dos for each Round
    1. When the round is up, POST. Acknowledge your participation by saying who you'd be fighting against and post if you'd like a challenge to go with it.
    2. When you've finished your entry, post it in the ROUND thread in spoilers. Not here. To remove all errors in spacing, I'd like you all to simply post it here, prim and proper already. No GDocs or any other of its ilk.
    3. Once both participants have submitted their stories, I will create the thread. A week of voting will come by with it. Be sure to vote and CnC!

Story Requirements
    1. Be sure it ain't flash fiction. Words must not be below one thousand but cannot exceed twelve thousand.
    2. Adhere to the round's theme and if you administered a challenge, do it.

The Bracket
    Spoiler for :

The Leaderboards
    Spoiler for :

Science Fiction examples if you needed the inspiration:
    :: War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
    :: Daily Science Fiction
    :: Rogue Moon by Algis Budrys
    :: 8 Sci-Fi Shorts from The New Yorker

I can't really link you to DL links of the novels there, so Wikipages will be the only way.

Now remember, for the second time:
    1. Post here, acknowledging your participation by stating that you will write against your opponent AND if you would take a challenge.
    2. Once you've done the above, you may begin writing!
    3. After 2 weeks (DEADLINE -- November 14, 2015), you may submit your work in this thread in spoilers.
    4. Only I will make the battle thread
    5. Go have fun.

NOTE
    As of right now, I'm on the fence whether I should shuffle the rounds or not. For now, I will settle with Sci-Fi as the first round. Hewitt, Devour and Richard have given me reasons why I should and I'm considering. By the time this first round ends, I will decide whether to shuffle or not.

Update:
    I have decided to shuffle the rounds. The next rounds will be hidden from everyone as to prevent others to write up the next wave of genres in their own time.

To be fair to those that passed their work early, late entries will receive a 5 point deduction in their round score tally.
    Last edited by ErrorBlender; 11-22-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Spoiler for :

buckethead, say goodbye to your first round. As for the rest, it's a pretty good match-up. So we basically write a short, standalone story that is self contained with a possible overarching storyline?

Anyway, Xate vs Aquila, confirmed.

Also, requesting a challenge.
    Last edited by Xate; 10-31-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    Just an average person

Spoiler for It's my past, ma:

Quote Originally Posted by Xate View Post
    buckethead, say goodbye to your first round. As for the rest, it's a pretty good match-up. So we basically write a short, standalone story that is self contained with a possible overarching storyline?

Anyway, Xate vs Aquila, confirmed.
    Up to you with the overarching storyline.

Spoiler for :

I am dead. So deead.
    Oh well, maybe I can do something with this.

Spoiler for WHO I SUPP:

I will remember you, Iwata...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    ...but you just dealt me a crisp one right there.

Of Regret and Longing. Kamiroo Wolf's Avatar
    Well, I know nothing of science fiction but I'll do my best.
    Current wRHG : Baer

Availability:
    Ready.

Azure vs Devour confirmed, and I demand a challenge.

Spoiler for What I've Obtained:

Quick question (And I'm sorry if this has been answered already), why are some of the people's names made green?

It means they've confirmed

Spoiler for :

I accept the challenge whatever it may be.

the champ vs GuardianTempest

So I guess this is for the time I rekt Veir with Treasure Hunt+Lightning Storm, Ravager Affinity and Esper Control on Cockatrice.

GuardianTempest vs Veir

I have confirmed my destiny.
    v (not my thing but please read) v

Flash CS6 || R.I.P. Fileize - "I didn't get to steal from pros" || Works slowly due to IRL Problems
    RHG: 親愛な雨 - Shinnai na Ame
    Daydreams and Concepts (Last Major Update: 11/09/13)

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information