StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

View Poll Results: Truth or Lie

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • He needs to know the harsh truth!

10 30.30%
  • Yeah we should be honest, but not too harsh.

16 48.48%
  • Noo, we might hurt his feelings if we tell the truth.

1 3.03%
  • Whatever, just let him be. Why should I care?

6 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should you tell the truth?

How should you tell the truth?

Hello guys and gals!
    Due to a recent social experience and the common sightings of users like Charry, a thought came to mind. How should we react with people? Say there is this guy who tells horrible jokes. And you know they are horrible. Everyone does. Are you blunt enough to tell him that in his face? Do you speak behind his back? Do you just laugh with his jokes anyway? etc.
    This was just an example of course, I'm talking in a general way. Should you be blunt? Should you be more kind but fake at the same time?
    Sig Filler

Spoiler for words of wisdom by our fellow members:

I would hate it if some guy was saying crappy jokes next to me, so I would tell him to stop. But in a nice way, 'cause the golden rule still applies, not just in elementary school, but also kind of in real life as well. You don't want some guy yelling at you, so you shouldn't yell at him, unless he refuses to stop.

If I were that guy making a fool out of himself in public, I'd want to be told to fucking stop before everyone labels me as the autist that I clearly am. My friends and I had a similar conversation recently. If you smelled like shit, would you rather people pretend that nothing's wrong only for you to continue your odious escapades offending the senses of every poor Joe you walk near? Or would you rather someone walk up and be real with you so you can fix the problem? You shouldn't be offended, you should thank whoever points it out for sticking up for your sorry ass.

I'm sorry but with this scenario it just sounds fucking stupid. Humor is a subjective term and just because you don't like someones jokes doesn't mean you tell them to stop. That just means your a fucking prick.

But for the sake of the question, I'll say that you just tell the harsh truth. Sure you'll sound like a "dickhead", but I'd rather sound like a dickhead than a asshat that think about telling him that it's bad but simply just waves it off. The former is fixing the problem, the latter is ignoring it.

Also bear in mind that I'm not talking only about the horrible joke senario, but also others such as showing a creation of yours like a drawing or anim.
    Sig Filler

Spoiler for words of wisdom by our fellow members:

Define horrible jokes. I know my ex loved dumb puns but I laughed because he clearly had fun with them. If the jokes are dumb as in racist and whatever, then I usually speak up. But if it's just a harmless joke you just don't find funny then I don't think it's necessary to rain on someone's parade like that. Because in that case, you're the fool.

As for drawings and animations, I think it's bad to just say "oh it's nice". The person spent a while making this probably so almost anything is better than that. If it's criticism, make sure you include something positive too. Improvement isn't linear and a person can lose motivation before long if people are unnecessarily harsh on them.

It's hard to vote on this poll. Life isn't that simple.

It's situation dependent sorta thing for me.

Pain goes away.
    Last edited by Tun3; 03-06-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Tun3 View Post
    Pain goes away.
    And so... which choice are you choosing?

Quote Originally Posted by Person McPerson View Post
    And so... which choice are you choosing?
    Let em be.
    Spoiler for spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information