StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

View Poll Results: Are you for or against the concept of Future Policing?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah! If we can stop a crime beforehand, we should do it!

3 37.50%
  • Hell no! Prevent what's happening, not what might happen!

5 62.50%

Thread: Predicting Crimes

Predicting Crimes

So currently in the Marvel Comics, there exists a new Civil War. As to not dwell on the characters and things, the main plot of it all lies in a way to predict crimes before they happen. One side favors that they should Change the Future, dishing out the punishment/preventive measures before the crime even occurs and the other is Protect the Future where they are against using the predictive measure. There also lies another media with the similar plot: Minority Report.

Although it seems we may not have these powers (as the precogs in Minority Report) at all, we may have the tech to do so: Crime Prediction App. It is in its early stages and by no means a working technology yet but the premise is that its under development.

The use of technology in crime prevention isn't that new and Big Data is already being used to predict sectors in which crime could possibly occur: Future of Policing

Where do you stand?
    Last edited by ErrorBlender; 03-17-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Spoiler for :

Added some poll options, lemme know if you want them edited or anything.

Spoiler for What I've Obtained:

Thanks, Azure.

Spoiler for :

Certified Piece of Shit Externus's Avatar
    I don't commit crimes. I don't have a problem.
    When petitioners used to come for information to the table at which I sat, I used to grind my teeth at them, and felt intense enjoyment when I succeeded in making anybody unhappy. I almost did succeed.

If the movie Minority Report is anything to go by, the predictive technology we currently have will surely be exploited and all it takes is one hack to question its reliability in the field.

The future isn't set; history is. You may plan ahead but not everything you do will happen exactly as you planned. So I say no.
    Spoiler for kankanmikan:

Stop crimes before they happen. In my old neighborhood (not going to mention where I lived) these two houses from across the street got robbed of their TVs and radios. That was really scary, considering it happened in my neighborhood just across the street. So although I've since moved, we should prevent crimes before they happen to prevent anything bad like that happening again. And think about all the lives people could save if they could prevent crimes before they happened like mass shootings or terrorist groups.

It's against the law to punish before the crime would happen. Motives aren't tangible and only help with a possible investigation.

You can take measures of prevention (like raising awareness or assemble a neighbour watch) but that's it.

Thread Information