StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming StickPage Animation Competitions - Huge Cash Prizes To Be Won!

i'm still curious of what the new portal will look like
    G O T T A G O F A S T
    BurntSticks-FrameByFrame-Toxigen
    Spoiler for Wise words:

Spoiler for Pictures of somethingness:

Quote Originally Posted by Externus View Post
    Stressing only an intermediate and pro bracket will incentivize new animators to hone their skills and practice religiously to make the cut, not just to complete 2 minutes of animation and be dealt a gold star, an A for effort, and a husky sum of cash.
    This just isn't true, and this is not what would happen.

Sure, a few here and there might be incentivized by being thrown in with the sharks, but for many, many new animators, (or people who hone any skill for that matter), being thrown in with the best of the best is extremely discouraging and only guarantees that most will quit, thinking that they don't and won't have what it takes to succeed. It's the same reason why videogames don't put you at the highest possible level to start with.

Throwing people in who just downloaded flash and watched a tutorial on how to make a stick figure run in with people who have been animating for 5+ years will just spell disaster.

Glad to see some enthusiasm so far! Is it Friday yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I think not allowing the promotion of other communities in any way in the animation would do well. Of course it won't stop the animators from going somewhere else, but at least those who do watch those animations will go to stickpage instead of anywhere else, and some of those might possibly stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
    And something tells me you'll need to take measures against HyunsDojo members that come over, win the competition and then immediately go back to their own forum, rinse repeat.
    These competitions are open to any animator who wants to participate, regardless of affiliation. It would be nice if they stuck around and contributed back to our community, but I didn't set up this competition with that expectation. My main goal with both of these competitions is simply to encourage animators to build their skill. I don't want this to devolve into a xenophobic grudge match against communities, my friends at Hyun's Dojo are welcome to join like anyone else as long as they're prepared to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Externus View Post
    I believe there is no really need for a beginner animation bracket.
    Like I said above the point of these competitions is to encourage people to animate. Skill level shouldn't matter. My own research into past community behavior suggests that by ignoring those who are just starting out we would be actively working against that goal and instead creating a divide between skill levels. People don't always do what seems like the most logical thing to do, and I don't want to create an atmosphere of "if you were this good you could be making money but you're not" because I found most people saw this as discouraging. The best thing a beginner can do is to practice, practice, practice. There are no shortcuts to getting good. However, if we can make that process a little less arduous then I think it's a good thing. Instead of lamenting the amount of work they have to do, my hope is beginners will focus instead on winning money, which will eventually give them enough practice to move on to the main competitions. It's the difference between, "practice for the next hour and maybe you'll get good" and "practice for the next hour and maybe you'll be paid for it". Both take some discipline to do, but this way you'll also be paid for your time. We are also using these competitions as a learning opportunity to refine our process and make future competitions better. If the beginners competition ends up being a bad choice then we will try something different. Right now we fully understand that it's a risk and we're doing it anyway. In the end, if at least one person makes an attempt then either way they are actively animating and that makes it worth it for us.

Yay its summer for you guys hehe. Too bad I can't join cuz of school cuz my school system is crap woohoo it came at the worst time of my year. Damn the Philippine Summertime hehe.
    THAT'S NICE!

THAT'S NICE!

Spoiler for butthurtedness:

BUT SOL NEVER SMILEEESSSSSSJFJLDAGLADVCJODBABDJXJXOSJDHF
    -ACFH
    AND SPARK HAS AN SCARFFFFFFFFSDSAOGHFDOGDLGHTRH
    -Spark
    SOMEONE IS TRIGGERED DHHBDJSJGHSBDNKCKSGWDHXJZSJ
    -TheTrueStep

In your deepest fantasy. poppetje3D's Avatar
    By the way,

Can you guys allow people having the same game as entry this year? Its super annoying to think of an other game if someone else already took it while you just really wanted to do for example, Undertale or something.

Yeah I wasn't planning on including that limitation. It's too strict and way too much extra work to manage. The competition should be fun and straight forward.

will you be posting previews of the new portal?or are we going to have to wait?
    also
    when will you update the roadmap?
    G O T T A G O F A S T
    Spoiler for Wise words:

I am intentionally hoarding screenshots for a big reveal later on when we're ready for it. I will also be updating the roadmap hopefully within the next few weeks. I've mentioned before that I recently spent a lot of time upgrading the new web server software to support a bunch of emerging web technologies that weren't out or ready when I started a year ago, well in addition to that I also took some time to build some tools that help speed up the design process of my web projects by providing a framework that meets my specific needs. Both of these things, coupled with some other stuff going on behind closed doors, have set back the site's planned release schedule but are necessary for me to end up with the site that I envisioned for SP. My next update to the roadmap will actually be a live test of these new additions, just like the original roadmap was for the original web server I wrote. Like most of the things I do I hope my work will speak for itself when it's released, and hopefully it'll make sense why I'm choosing to do things this way. You guys are awesome for being patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I am intentionally hoarding screenshots for a big reveal later on when we're ready for it. I will also be updating the roadmap hopefully within the next few weeks. I've mentioned before that I recently spent a lot of time upgrading the new web server software to support a bunch of emerging web technologies that weren't out or ready when I started a year ago, well in addition to that I also took some time to build some tools that help speed up the design process of my web projects by providing a framework that meets my specific needs. Both of these things, coupled with some other stuff going on behind closed doors, have set back the site's planned release schedule but are necessary for me to end up with the site that I envisioned for SP. My next update to the roadmap will actually be a live test of these new additions, just like the original roadmap was for the original web server I wrote. Like most of the things I do I hope my work will speak for itself when it's released, and hopefully it'll make sense why I'm choosing to do things this way. You guys are awesome for being patient.
    nice,will the live test be an actuall livestream?a video?or screenshots?
    also,my patience has been enormous since i know html is a hard code language,and after all,i can expect that our patience is going to be rewarded when the new version!
    EDIT:
    is the media portal actually at 38%?or has the percent it changed?
    if so,how much?
    Last edited by Loops; 06-28-2016 at 05:02 PM.
    G O T T A G O F A S T
    Spoiler for Wise words:

The media portal is probably somewhere closer to 65% but I'd have to go over my checklists for it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information